Summer Beauty Tips - the best way to care for your skin this summer
Posted on May 22 2016
We caught up with the gorgeous Emily Mcfarlane from Priv Beauty to get the lowdown on all things Summer beauty. As a model working in the beauty industry, she has some top tips to shake up your beauty routine!
Winter to Summer skin - What's your top tip on how to make the transition?
There’s a fine line between a sun kissed glow and being sun slapped. As soon as the sun comes out, I make sure to use a little sunscreen mixed in with my normal moisturiser which already has an SPF content, especially if I know I’ll be outside for a long period of time. Sun can also dehydrate your skin so drink lots of water. If you’ve had a long day in the sun, try a raw honey mask before you go to bed and apply a layer of coconut oil for some overnight moisture and anti-bacterial benefits. Another tip, fake tan is always the answer. Sun is extremely damaging for your skin (hello cancer) and ages you very quickly so think twice before hitting that sun bed for a “base tan”.
What are the best make-up products to use in the summer?
In Summer, less is more when it comes to beauty (and clothing !) Your skin will have a natural glow so steer clear of heavy foundations, dark lipsticks and smokey eye shadows. I love the Radiance Foundation Primer from Laura Mercier combined with their Silk Creme Moisturing Foundation or even on its own. My favourite product that I wear everyday is the Becca highlighter in Champagne Pop or Moonstone for a luminous glow on my cheeks and nose (*tip: use it on your cupid’s bow and just below your brows for highlighting genius). Remember, you want to look like you have a dewy glow but not like you’re a sweaty betty, so apply powder sparingly on your chin, upper lip, t-zone and brow.
What are this summer’s nail trends and colours?
I work for an incredible on demand beauty and wellness app called Priv so I chatted with one of our nail technicians, Monica Sousa, to get the best tips for colours.
“Corals & white are always the most popular colours in summer as they suit any skin tone (whether you’re tanned or not- it's great) also it's an easy colour to wear and pretty much goes with anything. If you prefer something different, mint blue/green, pastel/light shades of pinks, lilac and oranges are very in.”
Any tips on extending your mani / pedi for the summer months?
“The best thing to do once you've had a manicure is to apply a really good top coat once every 2 days which seals the polish to prolong the manicure and also brings back the shine to make the manicure look fresh. Cuticle oil helps to keep the nails moisturised and healthy while the polish is on, try to use it three times a week.”
Who are the best beauty bloggers to follow
From Australia, I love Nadia Peri. She has great makeup and hair tips along with some killer fashion thrown in. I love the product reviews from Ruth Crilly, she only really endorses something if she likes it. Lisa Eldridge’s blog is really interesting as you get top tips from a professional makeup artist.
What products could you not live without?
- Palmer’s cocoa butter gradual tan: Not only is it a great moisturiser, it makes tanning so much easier! It’s never streaky and looks completely natural.
- Morrocan oil: I have naturally curly hair that gets frizzy and damaged easily. Argan oil is a god send if your hair reacts badly to hard water and humidity.
- Coconut oil: I use it as a hair mask, moisturiser, makeup remover, teeth whitener and eye cream. I also use it in my cooking and smoothies. I love Vitacoco for the oil and water.
- Micellar water: I am obsessed with this stuff for when I’m too lazy to wash my face. It gets every bit of makeup off and leaves my skin feeling uber soft. It’s also super cheap and lasts for ages.
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Perfector: I swear to all things holy, this is the best lip product around. It smells amazing, it makes your lips kissably soft, plumps them up and gives them a luminous shine.
- My GymTote Eva! I love it so much and recommend it to everyone! Its such a stylish gym bag for women. I also use it as a stylish work and laptop bag and pack my heels in the bottom.